Pages

Friday 30 January 2015

Stacked Earrings Challenge

I invited four dear friends in the international online beading community to join me in a Stacked Earrings Challenge. The reason being simply only a lust for an inspiration boost by some designers I really like.
"
Dear Ladies, 
Would you be interested in a small humble earrings challenge arranged by me? The idea is that I give each of us the same set of beads. Beads that I believe would be nice to use in earrings. Nothing exclusive, and no art beads. Just a group of different beads that I myself believe can be used in fun and interesting ways in earrings in a stacked style.

Over the last few months or so I have been particularly fascinated in stacked designs in earrings. So most of the beads I have picked are of that nature. I am only including the beads, no hooks or studs, or fibers or other components.


I love the way all of you design, and I find a lot of inspiration in looking at your jewelry. I am longing to see how we all use the same things but in different ways. I am thinking we could all make at least one pair of earrings, but hopefully more. And that we are free to add our own extra beads and/or other components, if we at least use three (3) of the beads from my set in each design. How does that sound?

"

Here's the set of beads. I did not use all of them myself. For instance I tried several things with those shiny silvery beads, but was never happy with what I created. As well as for the milky white flower disks. I am really looking forward to see if any one else managed to use them in a creative and/or attractive way. And I am longing to see all of your designs and be inspired by them.

I created 5 pairs of earrings.
I didn't do all my designs exactly the way as what I had had in mind myself in the first place when I put this challenge together. But that is the beauty of it all I think. Self-surprise! Is that even a word? Well, I guess it is now ;-).

My first pair. A bead stack hung from a pair of sparkly links (SmittenBeads) and oxidized silver ears hooks.

If you are already familiar with my design style, you might already have noticed that I am very fond of messy wire wrapping. In the two following earrings I didn't only use the technique/style for the assembling, but also for making whole components on their own. That was fun, and I am sure I will keep playing around with that.

The stacking in these ones consists of the three wood beads on top of each other. I made the fabric links myself with recycled sari silk and two different gauges of oxidized copper wire. A heavier one for the inside, and a thinner one for the wrapping around. I think they turned out rather attractive. A soft bohemic style to them. Oxidized copper ear hooks.

Back to a combo of many different beads stacked on top of each other. I made the messy wire wrapped circular dangles/charms myself. I will definitely continue doing such things. Fun to do/make and a very versatile way to use in my designs. Rustic and bohemic. Oxidized copper ear hooks.

Was this cheating? I don't care, because I really like the way they look. I only stacked three stripey seed beads (and not different beads combined). Using a ball head pin for the wire wrapped link. Hung two patinated copper charms by MissFickleMedia. Oxidized copper ear hooks.

Oh, and another cheating one perhaps ;-). I only stacked two beads (not three). I do have more of those gold painted square wooden beads, and I could easily have used three or more. But somehow I liked this better, so … looks goes before rules. At least in my book of design. Patinated copper dangles/charms by lovely MissFickleMedia. And oxidized copper ear hooks.


Here again are the links to the other participants in this challenge. Hop on over to their blogs and check out many fun, exciting and lovely designs for earrings. :-)


  • Claire Lockwood - Something To Do With Your Hands
  • Leah Curtis - Beady Eyed Bunny
  • Rebecca Anderson - SongBead
  • Heidi Post - Ex Post Facto
  • Malin de Koning - Beading By Malin de Koning


  • All my best,
    Malin

    8 comments:

    Leah Curtis said...

    Malin, thank you so much for this challenge! It goes without saying that all of the earrings you created are beautiful. I love the messy wire wrapping. The first two pairs are my favourites. Wonderful!

    Claire Lockwood said...

    Loving all of these, particularly the first pair, the pair with the wire-wrapped circles (they're so neat!) and the pair with the asymmetrical charms. You're making me want to go shopping with Miss Fickle Media. Thanks again for setting this up and sending such fun beads!

    Lori Anderson said...

    These are all wonderful! What a great challenge -- earrings are what I wear every day no matter what!

    Heidi Post said...

    Oooh, I love the last two. mfm's bits always make everything wonderful. The messy wire is great as well - and with the sari. Lovely earrings all around. I had such fun, and I can't wait until the next time :D

    Shai Williams said...

    What great designs! Just love those sari silk earrings.

    Alice said...

    What a fun challenge! I love each and everyone of your earrings. Such a great
    variety of beads and designs.
    Im headed off to see the others.

    Rebecca said...

    Such beautiful pieces Malin. I love the silk/rustic wire wrapped ones - those wooden teeth were my very favourites of the beads you sent, I think. Although it's hard to choose! I love the deep pink of the silk with the warm rose wood-esque shade. I haven't bought from MfM in an age - you and her are such a good combination! Thank you so much for organising this challenge. I loved it!

    CraftyHope said...

    I think your challenge was ingenious. The versatility of the designers and their resulting designs from the same set of beads is inspiring. Your designs as well came together beautifully. I'm especially fascinated by that first pair. The mix of the rhinestones and the beads is simply captivating.