Pages

Monday 21 June 2010

Merry Happy - I am chosen "Designer of the Week" on ABS

I've been walking around singing Kate Nash's "Merry Happy" for the last few days. Great song although the lyrics are actually rather sad. But now I am feeling very very Merry Happy!

This is quoted from Art Bead Scene:


"MONDAY, JUNE 21, 2010

Designer of The Week - Malin de Koning


Each Monday we feature the Designer of the Week. One of our editors pick their favorite from the Monthly Challenge entries. This week's featured designer is Malin de Koning !

ABS editor Shannon LeVart had this to say about Malin's entry for this week's challenge: "You may think me biased here. You may think all you need to do is name something Shannon and I will call it my favorite, but you are incorrect! I scanned the entries for this week noting something I like about each piece, bookmarking them in the order of my preference. But this piece pulled at my heart strings before I saw my own components included in its lay-out, before I saw it carried my name sake.


It quite simply made me feel like dancing. Yes, I wanted to put a big pink flower in my hair and with bosoms heaving, do some fancy foot work for the entertainment of a crowd with proper posture.


The painting by Lautrec contains rich, deep colors that contrast with the swirling pink of the dancers skirt. I feel Malin studied these colors intently in order to include so many of them in her bracelet and the way she evolved the almond blossom beads from March's challenge into a new purpose for this months challenge was invigorating!"


Please visit Malin at her blog and view more of her work at her flickr photostream."



And this here below is quoted from myself and my earlier post about the piece:


"This month's inspiration painting for the ABS monthly Challenge by Toulouse-Lautrec had me creating right away. I just couldn't hold myself back. Such marvellous colours! And forms. The whole composition. The dancing lady's pink fluffy underskirts, her red hair, the flower in it, the different shades of greens, the rusty colours, the ivory arches in the background, the white socks of the bystander, the lilac twins ...


Materials:

3 pink flowers by Shannon Levart/MissFickleMedia, mounted on headpins and with black swarowskis.

Enameled greenish flowers by Barbara Lewis/PaintingWithFire.

Green patinated chain by Shannon Levart/MissFickleMedia.

Rusty Dupioni silk ribbon from Ornamentea,

White tubular porcelain beads from Africa.

Black and ivory facetted bone beads.

Turquise e-beads.

Carnelian roundels.

Lilac matte glass beads.

Leather cord.

Ginger patterned button in plastic.

"


Links:

ABS - ArtBeadScene Blog

ArtBeadScene June-Monthly-Challenge

ArtBeadScene on flickr

Barbara Lewis of PaintingWith Fire

Shannon Levart of MissFickleMedia

Me on flickr



5 comments:

Rebecca said...

I am not surprised you were chosen! Congratulations. This is a beautiful piece!

Jo said...

Congratulations Malin - that's great news!

Barbara Lewis said...

Malin, you are so incredibly talented! Congratulations! This bracelet is a gem. Barbara

Unknown said...

I saw your necklace on the ABS Congrats bc its beautiful with just the right everything!

Sharon said...

That is one spicy bracelet! Love the silk fabric addition that mimics the dancer's flouncy skirt!