Pages

Tuesday 4 January 2011

Some new things on their way

Hi Heather Powers of HumbleBeads, I recieved a bunch of wonderful beads from you yesterday. This snow owl was one of them. Look, he immediately found his place. He shall be "sitting on a stump in the woods" for the rest of his life.
He's made it all comfy with a bit of silk soft moss. He's all proud now, isn't he. And oh so cute. I am very pleased with how he has found his right surroundings.

I also though it would be fun to show you this idea for a bracelet that came up today. My dearest friend Caroline, who nowadays also work 2-3 days a week as my assistant in my home (I have an assistant 5 days a week due to my MS), was here today. We ended up chatting like crazy of course, since it was almost a week since we last saw each other. We sat in my studio and was looking at beads at the same time. I showed her these favourite ones of mine by Jen Zieger of ZBeadz. Hot Tamales Squish Jen calls them. I've had them for a while now and they are so magnificant and "strong" that I haven't known how to do them justice. I want them to stand out and draw attention to how beautiful they are. I've tried so many ideas. None of them good enough. Yet!

I need to tell you a bit about Caroline aswell, I guess. She is an extraordinary beautiful woman, both visually (she's always been a headturner, big time) and in her mind (utterly intelligent, and wise). She is soooooo funny! I most often laugh a lot in her company. She has always been there for me when I need her. She is like a sister to me really. I've known her since I was 16 and she was 17. We have always shared an interest in art and artistic activities. We ended up both of us studying art history, art and design. She took a masters degree in Textile Design and I one in Industrial Design. I am the godmother of her firstborn, she is the godmother of my firstborn. I totally respect her artistic opinions and taste, everything she does looks great. She drewls when she comes into my studio, although she isn't into beading and jewellery making herself. But she could be. Nowadays she is studying Gestalt therapy (link goes to Wikipedia).
This idea for a bracelet derrives from her and mine communal effort. Cooperation is beautiful, isn't it. 5 black thin leather strings shall be mounted with separators in between them so they keep their distance. See, they look just like note-lines. ZBeadz' beads are musical "signs" (notes) dancing on the lines playing a melody. Some extra notes and musical signs are added in form of seed beads picking up the colours of the squishy ones. I hope to make this bracelet come true soon.

Last a pendant I put together a few weeks ago. "Magic Bliss" will be the name of the necklace on which it will hang. Word beads by Diane Hawkey.
All my best,
Malin

7 comments:

Heidi Post said...

Can't wait to see the end result of the bracelet. I love the colors. And I like the owl on his little stump :)

TesoriTrovati said...

Heather will be so proud to see how her birdie grew up! Enjoy the day!
Erin

Courtney Breul said...

I can't wait to see the bracelet! Beautiful beads! Love Heather's owl. MMMMM :)

steufel said...

What a great idea - can't wait to see the bracelet. And you are so right about collaboration!

Rebecca said...

I of course love the idea of a stave bracelet! I can't wait to see how it turns out :-) I remember those Hot Tamale beads from when you posted about them before, I adored them back then! Beautiful designs all round, as always.

Angel Whisperer said...

Oh, that snow owl is gorgeous!
and wonderful beads and idea You have for that bracelet
also curios about how You will finish the magic bliss :)
Nice to see Your work !
B

Malin de Koning said...

Thank you for all your kind comments! I haven't put together the tamales-stave bracelet yet. But if it turns out as nice as i wish it to, i believe i will make some more in other colour combinations from zbeadz.

And the magic bliss one will sit on some sort of silk ribbon I believe, I have a thiiiick chocolate brown one which I think will go nicely, and some chain maybe, and some beads perhaps ... what do you think Birgitta?